July 5, 2011
Spicy Indian Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 Tbs. avocado oil
- 1/4 Tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp. coriander seeds, crushed
- 1/2 Tsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 1/4 Tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 Cup fresh ginger, peeled and cut into fine strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 hot chile, finely chopped
- 5 whole plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3 1/2 Cups vegetable broth (homemade or store bought, low sodium variety)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- cilantro and lime wedges as garnish
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cumin, coriander, and mustard seeds. Cook until seeds are fragrant and begin to pop, about 30 seconds (keep stirring the seeds often).
- Add turmeric, ginger, garlic, and chile. Cook until ginger is slightly softened, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, and 1/2 Tsp. salt. Bring to a boil. Add sweet potato and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until sweet potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately, with lime wedges and cilantro as garnish.