August 4, 2011
Sesame Strawberry Treat!
- 1/2 Cup sesame seeds
- 1 Cup frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 Tbs macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1 Tbs honey
- Pulse the sesame seeds to a flour like consistency in the blender.
- Add the thawed strawberries, as well as their juice.
- Blend until you have a creamy consistency, adding some water if required.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and add the massed avocado to the mixture.
- Garnish with the nuts and honey.
- One cup of strawberries contains over 100 mg of vitamin C, which is necessary for immune system function and strong connective tissue. The strawberries also provide you with some calcium, magnesium, folate and potassium.
- Avocados are a great source of phytochemicals and contain more than 25 essential nutrients including fiber, vitamin E, vitamin B, and folic acid. Avocados also contain 60% more potassium than bananas.
- Sesame seeds are an excellent supply of manganese, calcium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc, and fiber. Sesame seeds also contain two unique substances: sesamin and sesamolin. These both belong to a group of beneficial fibers called lignans, which have been shown to have a cholestrol lowering effect as well increasing vitamin E supplies.
- Macadamia nuts are high energy while containing no cholesterol. They are also a high source of protein, calcium, potassium, and dietary fiber. The natural oils in macadamias also contain 78% monounsaturated fats (the good kind).